Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> > (AFAIK, "select count(*) from table" would offer a similar amount of
> > sanity checking as a full-table VACUUM scan does, so it's not like
> > we've removed functionality with no near-term replacement.)
>
> I don't think that'd do anything comparable to
>         /*
>          * As of PostgreSQL 9.2, the visibility map bit should never be set if
>          * the page-level bit is clear.  However, it's possible that the bit
>          * got cleared after we checked it and before we took the buffer
>          * content lock, so we must recheck before jumping to the conclusion
>          * that something bad has happened.
>          */
>         else if (all_visible_according_to_vm && !PageIsAllVisible(page)
>                  && VM_ALL_VISIBLE(onerel, blkno, &vmbuffer))
>         {
>             elog(WARNING, "page is not marked all-visible but visibility map bit is set in relation \"%s\" page %u",
>                  relname, blkno);
>             visibilitymap_clear(onerel, blkno, vmbuffer);
>         }
>
> If we had a checking module for all this it'd possibly be sufficient,
> but we don't.

Here's an idea.  We need core-blessed extensions (src/extensions/, you
know I've proposed this before), so why not take this opportunity to
create our first such and make it carry a function to scan a table
completely to do this task.

Since we were considering a new VACUUM option, surely this is serious
enough to warrant more than just contrib.

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code