Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Maybe this is the wrong perspective.  I mean, is there a reason we even
> need this option, other than a lack of any other way to do a full table
> scan to check for corruption, etc.?  If we're only doing this for
> integrity checking, then maybe it's better if it becomes a function,
> which could be later extended with additional forensic features?

Yes, I've been wondering that too.  VACUUM is not meant as a corruption
checker, and should not be made into one, so what is the point of this
flag exactly?

(AFAIK, "select count(*) from table" would offer a similar amount of
sanity checking as a full-table VACUUM scan does, so it's not like
we've removed functionality with no near-term replacement.)