Re: Some 9.5beta2 backend processes not terminating properly?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Some 9.5beta2 backend processes not terminating properly?
Дата
Re: Some 9.5beta2 backend processes not terminating properly?  (Shay Rojansky <roji@roji.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2015-12-30 19:01:10 +0200, Shay Rojansky wrote:
> OK, I finally found some time to dive into this.
>
> The backends seem to hang when the client closes a socket without first
> sending a Terminate message - some of the tests make this happen. I've
> confirmed this happens with 9.5rc1 running on Windows (versions 10 and 7),
> but this does not occur on Ubuntu 15.10. The client runs on Windows as well
> (although I doubt that's important).

Hm. So that seems to indicate that, on windows, we're not properly
recognizing dead sockets in the latch code. Could you check, IIRC with
netstat or something like it, in what state the connections are?

Any chance you could single-step through WaitLatchOrSocket() with a
debugger? Without additional information this is rather hard to
diagnose.

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What procedure do you use to kill backends?  Normally, if we kill
> > via task manager using "End Process", it is considered as backend
> > crash and the server gets restarted and all other backends got
> > disconnected.

Unless I miss something major here the problem is clients disconnecting
and leaving backends hanging. The killing of backends only comes into
play after that's already the case.

Regards,

Andres