Single Database Recovery?

От
Тема Single Database Recovery?
Дата
Re: Single Database Recovery?  (lst_hoe02@kwsoft.de)
Re: Single Database Recovery?  (Iñigo Salvat <inigo@isalvat.es>)
Список pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I'm trying to recover a single database that's part of an instance with other databases which I do not want to recover. We do a physical backup and have the WAL archive files available. The purpose of this is to place a copy of one of the Prod databases onto the QA server which has other existing databases that we want to keep.

What I was thinking was that I could recover all of the files to a separate area, then basically just copy the files from that database's directory into the QA instance database directory (same oid.) There was an existing copy on the QA server and I want to replace it with the new copy.

Is this possible? I know that I could simply do a pg_dump into this QA database but this seems to take way too long - days instead of the hours that it takes to unzip the physical backup file into a directory on the QA server.

I also know that I could easily create a new instance but I have a constraint that the IP addresses and ports cannot be changed.

If this instance only had a single database it would be a simple physical restore, but the presence of the additional databases has me stumped.

The PostgreSQL version is 9.1.9. The server is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago) on a VM machine - 8 GB RAM with 2 CPUs:

Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                2
On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    2
CPU socket(s):         1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 44
Stepping:              2
CPU MHz:               2660.000
BogoMIPS:              5320.00
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              12288K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0,1

Thanks for any ideas or myth debunking that you can apply to this conundrum.

Regards,

John McDougald