Inefficient barriers on solaris with sun cc

От Andres Freund
Тема Inefficient barriers on solaris with sun cc
Дата
Re: Inefficient barriers on solaris with sun cc  (Oskari Saarenmaa <os@ohmu.fi>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Binaries compiled on solaris using sun studio cc currently don't have
compiler and memory barriers implemented. That means we fall back to
relatively slow generic implementations for those. Especially compiler,
read, write barriers will be much slower than necessary (since they all
just need to prevent compiler reordering as both sparc and x86 are run
in TSO mode under solaris).

Since my estimate is that we'll use more and more barriers, that's going
to hurt more and more.

I do *not* plan to do anything about it atm, I just thought it might be
helpful to have this stated somewhere searchable.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services