Re: RLS Design

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: RLS Design
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 19 September 2014 17:54, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> Thom,
>
> * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
> > > =
> > > [...]
> > > with_check
> > > >
> > > -----------------+-----------+-------+-----+------------------+------------

> > > As I hope is clear if you look at the documentation- if the WITH CHECK
> > > clause is omitted, then the USING clause is used for both filtering and
> > > checking new records, otherwise you'd be able to add records which
> > > aren't visible to you.
> >
> > I can see that now, although I do find the error message somewhat
> > confusing.  Firstly, it looks like "OPTION" is part of the parameter name,
> > which it isn't.
>
> Hmm, the notion of 'with check option' is from the SQL standard, which
> is why I felt the error message was appropriate as-is..
>
> > Also, I seem to get an error message with the following:
> >
> > # create policy nice_colours ON colours for all to joe using (visible =
> > true) with check (name in ('blue','green','yellow'));
> > CREATE POLICY
> >
> > \c - joe
> >
> > > insert into colours (name, visible) values ('blue',false);
> > ERROR:  function with OID 0 does not exist
>
> Now *that* one is interesting and I'll definitely go take a look at it.
> We added quite a few regression tests to try and make sure these things
> work.
>
> > And if this did work, but I only violated the USING clause, would this
> > still say the WITH CHECK clause was the cause?
>
> WITH CHECK applies for INSERT and UPDATE for the new records going into
> the table.  You can't actually violate the USING clause for an INSERT
> as USING is for filtering records, not checking that records being added
> to the table are valid.
>
> To try and clarify- by explicitly setting both USING and WITH CHECK, you
> *are* able to INSERT records which are not visible to you.  We felt that
> was an important capability to support.

I find it a bit of a limitation that I can't specify both INSERT and
UPDATE for a policy.  I'd want to be able to specify something like
this:

CREATE POLICY no_greys_allowed
  ON colours
  FOR INSERT, UPDATE
  WITH CHECK (name NOT IN ('grey','gray'));

I would expect this to be rather common to prevent certain values
making their way into a table.  Instead I'd have to create 2 policies
as it stands.

In order to debug issues with accessing table data, perhaps it would
be useful to output the name of the policy that was violated.  If a
table had 20 policies on, it could become time-consuming to debug.

I keep getting tripped up by overlapping policies.  On the one hand, I
created a policy to ensure rows being added or selected have a
"visible" column set to true.  On the other hand, I have a policy that
ensures that the name of a colour doesn't appear in a list.  Policy 1
is violated until policy 2 is added:

(using the table I created in a previous post on this thread...)

# create policy must_be_visible ON colours for all to joe using
(visible = true) with check (visible = true);
CREATE POLICY

\c - joe

> insert into colours (name, visible) values ('pink',false);
ERROR:  new row violates WITH CHECK OPTION for "colours"
DETAIL:  Failing row contains (28, pink, f).

\c - thom

# create policy no_greys_allowed on colours for insert with check
(name not in ('grey','gray'));
CREATE POLICY

\c - joe

# insert into colours (name, visible) values ('pink',false);
INSERT 0 1

I expected this to still trigger an error due to the first policy.  Am
I to infer from this that the policy model is permissive rather than
restrictive?

I've also attached a few corrections for the docs.

Thom

Вложения

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Inefficient barriers on solaris with sun cc
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: a fast bloat measurement tool (was Re: Measuring relation free space)