Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Дата
Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Список pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra wrote:

> So, if I get this right, the proposal is to have 7 animals:

It's your machine, so you decide what you want.  I'm only throwing out
some ideas.

> 1) all branches/locales, frequent builds (every few hours)
>   magpie  - gcc
>   fulmar  - icc
>   treepie - clang
>
> 2) single branch/locale, CLOBBER, built once a week
>   magpie2 - gcc
>   fulmar2 - icc
>   treepie - clang
>
> 3) single branch/locale, recursive CLOBBER, built once a month

Check.  Not those "2" names though.

> I don't particularly mind the number of animals, although I was shooting
> for lower number.

Consider that if the recursive clobber fails, we don't want that failure
to appear "diluted" among many successes of runs using the same animal
with non-recursive clobber.

> The only question is - should we use 3 animals for the recursive CLOBBER
> too? I mean, one for each compiler?

I guess it depends how likely we think that a different compiler will
change the behavior of the shared invalidation queue.  Somebody else
would have to answer that.  If not, then clearly we need only 5 animals.