Re: Standalone synchronous master

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Standalone synchronous master
Дата
Re: Standalone synchronous master  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Standalone synchronous master  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:21:42AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > I think RAID-1 is a very good comparison because it is successful
> > technology and has similar issues.
> >
> > RAID-1 is like Postgres synchronous_standby_names mode in the sense that
> > the RAID-1 controller will not return success until writes have happened
> > on both mirrors, but it is unlike synchronous_standby_names in that it
> > will degrade and continue writes even when it can't write to both
> > mirrors.  What is being discussed is to allow the RAID-1 behavior in
> > Postgres.
> >
> > One issue that came up in discussions is the insufficiency of writing a
> > degrade notice in a server log file because the log file isn't durable
> > from server failures, meaning you don't know if a fail-over to the slave
> > lost commits.  The degrade message has to be stored durably against a
> > server failure, e.g. on a pager, probably using a command like we do for
> > archive_command, and has to return success before the server continues
> > in degrade mode.  I assume degraded RAID-1 controllers inform
> > administrators in the same way.
>
> Here I think if user is aware from beginning that this is the behaviour,
> then may be the importance of message is not very high.
> What I want to say is that if we provide a UI in such a way that user
> decides during setup of server the behavior that is required by him.
>
> For example, if we provide a new parameter
> available_synchronous_standby_names along with current parameter
> and ask user to use this new parameter, if he wishes to synchronously
> commit transactions on another server when it is available, else it will
> operate as a standalone sync master.

I know there was a desire to remove this TODO item, but I think we have
brought up enough new issues that we can keep it to see if we can come
up with a solution.  I have added a link to this discussion on the TODO
item.

I think we will need at least four new GUC variables:

*  timeout control for degraded mode
*  command to run during switch to degraded mode
*  command to run during switch from degraded mode
*  read-only variable to report degraded mode

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +