Re: Standalone synchronous master

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Standalone synchronous master
Дата
Re: Standalone synchronous master  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/10/2014 07:47 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I know there was a desire to remove this TODO item, but I think we have
> brought up enough new issues that we can keep it to see if we can come
> up with a solution.  I have added a link to this discussion on the TODO
> item.
>
> I think we will need at least four new GUC variables:
>
> *  timeout control for degraded mode
> *  command to run during switch to degraded mode
> *  command to run during switch from degraded mode
> *  read-only variable to report degraded mode

I know I am the one that instigated all of this so I want to be very
clear on what I and what I am confident that my customers would expect.

If a synchronous slave goes down, the master continues to operate. That
is all. I don't care if it is configurable (I would be fine with that).
I don't care if it is not automatic (e.g; slave goes down and we have to
tell the master to continue).

I have read through this thread more than once, and I have also went
back to the docs. I understand why we do it the way we do it. I also
understand that from a business requirement for 99% of CMD's customers,
it's wrong. At least in the sense of providing continuity of service.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579