Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Список pgsql-hackers
* Jeff Davis (pgsql@j-davis.com) wrote:
> Stephen mentioned using external tools and/or metadata, but to me that
> sounds like it would require porting the extension away from what's on
> PGXN today.

Not at all- and that'd be the point.  An external tool could take the
PGXN extension, run 'make', then 'make install' (into a userland
directory), extract out the script and then, with a little help from PG,
run that script in "extension creation mode" via libpq.

Another option, which I generally like better, is to have a new package
format for PGXN that contains the results of "make install",
more-or-less, synonymous to Debian source vs. .deb packages.

Perhaps we could even have psql understand that format and be able to
install the extension via a backslash command instead of having an
external tool, but I think an external tool for dependency tracking and
downloading of necessary dependencies ala Debian would be better than
teaching psql to do that.
Thanks,
    Stephen