Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 09:20 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jeff Davis (pgsql@j-davis.com) wrote:
> > Stephen mentioned using external tools and/or metadata, but to me that
> > sounds like it would require porting the extension away from what's on
> > PGXN today.
>
> Not at all- and that'd be the point.  An external tool could take the
> PGXN extension, run 'make', then 'make install' (into a userland
> directory), extract out the script and then, with a little help from PG,
> run that script in "extension creation mode" via libpq.

What is stopping Extension Templates, as proposed, from being this
special "extension creation mode"? What would be a better design?

It seems like the porting issue is just a matter of finding someone to
write a tool to reliably translate packages from PGXN into a form
suitable to be sent using SQL commands; which we would need anyway for
this special mode.

Regards,Jeff Davis