Re: make --silent

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: make --silent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2013-07-23 08:38:03 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Writing postgres.bki
> > Writing schemapg.h
> > Writing postgres.description
> > Writing postgres.shdescription
> > Writing fmgroids.h
> > Writing fmgrtab.c
>
> I personally don't feel the need for those to go away. They only appear
> when doing a clean rebuild and/or when changing something
> significant. Also it's just a couple of lines.

For my 2c, I'd be for getting rid of the above.  I agree it's not a huge
deal, but I'm also a big fan of "don't spam me when things go right".
Is there any particular reason we need to see them with every (clean)
build..?

> > Processing HTML.index...
> > 2406 entries loaded...
> > 0 entries ignored...
> > Done.
> > Note: Writing man3/SPI_connect.3
> > Note: Writing man3/SPI_finish.3
> > Note: Writing man3/SPI_push.3
> > Note: Writing man1/pg_test_timing.1
> > Note: Writing man1/pg_upgrade.1
> > Note: Writing man1/pg_xlogdump.1
>
> Those should imo be silenced. It's quite a bit of output, and especially
> during a parallel build they tend to hide more important output.

Agreed.

> > In file included from gram.y:13612:0:
> > scan.c: In function ‘yy_try_NUL_trans’:
> > scan.c:10181:23: warning: unused variable ‘yyg’ [-Wunused-variable]
> > PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install.
>
> FWIW, I've patched debian's flex just to get rid of this ;)

Any idea if that might be accepted upstream or perhaps by Debian..?  It
would surely be nice to make that error go away..
Thanks,
    Stephen