Re: make --silent

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: make --silent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-07-23 09:21:54 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > On 2013-07-23 08:38:03 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Writing postgres.bki
> > > Writing schemapg.h
> > > Writing postgres.description
> > > Writing postgres.shdescription
> > > Writing fmgroids.h
> > > Writing fmgrtab.c
> >
> > I personally don't feel the need for those to go away. They only appear
> > when doing a clean rebuild and/or when changing something
> > significant. Also it's just a couple of lines.
>
> For my 2c, I'd be for getting rid of the above.  I agree it's not a huge
> deal, but I'm also a big fan of "don't spam me when things go right".
> Is there any particular reason we need to see them with every (clean)
> build..?

I don't have a big problem with getting rid of them either. I find them
moderately reassuring to see those triggered if I change something
relevant because I don't fully trust the dependency mechanism around
them, but that's about it.

> > > In file included from gram.y:13612:0:
> > > scan.c: In function ‘yy_try_NUL_trans’:
> > > scan.c:10181:23: warning: unused variable ‘yyg’ [-Wunused-variable]
> > > PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install.
> >
> > FWIW, I've patched debian's flex just to get rid of this ;)
>
> Any idea if that might be accepted upstream or perhaps by Debian..?  It
> would surely be nice to make that error go away..

I think Tom ushered a patch upstream, debian just hasn't updated in a
good while, even in unstable. I've looked at the packages bug page some
time back and it didn't look very active so I didn't think further about
proposing a debian-only backport of that patch.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services