Re: make --silent

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: make --silent
Дата
Re: make --silent  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-07-23 08:38:03 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have noticed that some people post examples using make --silent (-s).
> I found this actually kind of neat to use from time to time, because
> then you only see output if you have warnings or errors.  But we get
> some extra output that doesn't quite fit:

I am one of the people doing that regularly. I think it's fantastic
because it's so much harder to miss errors that way... Also it shortens
the buildtime measurably.

> Writing postgres.bki
> Writing schemapg.h
> Writing postgres.description
> Writing postgres.shdescription
> Writing fmgroids.h
> Writing fmgrtab.c

I personally don't feel the need for those to go away. They only appear
when doing a clean rebuild and/or when changing something
significant. Also it's just a couple of lines.

> Processing HTML.index...
> 2406 entries loaded...
> 0 entries ignored...
> Done.
> Note: Writing man3/SPI_connect.3
> Note: Writing man3/SPI_finish.3
> Note: Writing man3/SPI_push.3
> Note: Writing man1/pg_test_timing.1
> Note: Writing man1/pg_upgrade.1
> Note: Writing man1/pg_xlogdump.1

Those should imo be silenced. It's quite a bit of output, and especially
during a parallel build they tend to hide more important output.

> In file included from gram.y:13612:0:
> scan.c: In function ‘yy_try_NUL_trans’:
> scan.c:10181:23: warning: unused variable ‘yyg’ [-Wunused-variable]
> PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install.

FWIW, I've patched debian's flex just to get rid of this ;)

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services