Re: Feature Request: pg_replication_master()

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:34:14PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 19 December 2012 22:19, Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It stalled because the patch author decided not to implement the
> >> request to detect recovery.conf in data directory, which allows
> >> backwards compatibility.
> >
> > Well, I don't think we had agreement on how important backwards compatibility for recovery.conf was, particularly
noton the whole recovery.conf/recovery.done functionality and the wierd formatting of recovery.conf.

> As ever, we spent much energy on debating backwards compatibility
> rather than just solving the problem it posed, which is fairly easy to
> solve.

Let me also add that I am tired of having recovery.conf improvement
stalled by backward compatibility concerns.   At this point, let's just
trash recovery.conf backward compatibility and move on.

And I don't want to hear complaints about tool breakage either.  These
are external tools, not shipped with community Postgres, and they will
just have to adjust.  I will be glad to beat all complainants into the
ground for the good of the community.  ;-)   We just can't operate like
this, and if we allowed these things to block us in the past, Postgres
would be a royal mess today!

At this point backward compatibility has paralized us from fixing a
recovery.conf API that everyone agrees is non-optimal, and this has
gone on for multiple major releases.  I don't care what we have to do,
just clean this up for 9.3!

http://enterprisedb.com