Re: Future of our regular expression code

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Future of our regular expression code
Дата
Re: Future of our regular expression code  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Simon Riggs (simon@2ndQuadrant.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > So I'm feeling that we gotta suck it up and start acting like we are
> > the lead maintainers for this code, not just consumers.
>
> By "we", I take it you mean you personally?

I'm pretty sure he meant the PG project, and I'd agree with him- we're
going to have to do it if no one else is.  I suspect the Tcl folks will
be happy to look at incorporating anything we fix, if they can, but it
doesn't sound like they'll be able to help with fixing things much.

> Do we have volunteers that might save Tom from taking on this task?
> It's not something that requires too much knowledge and experience of
> PostgreSQL, so is an easier task for a newcomer.

Sure, it doesn't require knowledge of PG, but I dare say there aren't
very many newcomers who are going to walk in knowing how to manage
complex regex code..  I haven't seen too many who can update gram.y,
much less make our regex code handle Unicode better.  I'm all for
getting other people to help with the code, of course, but I wouldn't
hold my breath and leave existing bugs open on the hopes that someone's
gonna show up.
Thanks,
    Stephen