Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory
Дата
Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:

> >> Once multiple threads are using the same local memory, you have the same
> >> issues of being unable to resize it because repalloc can change the
> >> pointer location.
> >
> > Let me be more concrete. ?Suppose you are using threads, and you want to
> > increase your shared memory from 20MB to 30MB. ?How do you do that? ?If
> > you want it contiguous, you have to use realloc, which might move the
> > pointer. ?If you allocate another 10MB chunk, you then have shared
> > memory fragments, which is the same as adding another shared memory
> > segment.
>
> You probably wouldn't do either of those things.  You'd just allocate
> small chunks here and there for whatever you need them for.

Well, then we do that with shared memory then --- my point is that it is
the same problem with threads or processes.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory
Сообщение: Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory