Re: Virtualization vs. sharing a server

От Enrico Weigelt
Тема Re: Virtualization vs. sharing a server
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
* Ramiro Barreca <rbarreca@gmail.com> wrote:

> As Virtualiaztion is almost discarded after reading many articles that
> locate this option in the "don'ts-list", we want to know your experience (if
> any) about installing a PostgreSQL and a Firebird server in the same Linux
> server.

Depends on the kind of virtualization. As you're on Linux, you could
use OpenVZ: it has similar characteristics as chroot - it just separates
namespaces (eg. network interfaces, pids, etc) and allows different
limits (eg. maxprocs, maxfiles, maxmem, ...) on per-VZ basis.

BTW: my current customer already consolidated multiple formerly
dedicated mysql servers (in mass hosting) onto one metal (now we're
building a system which allows moving individual databases around
in the cluster w/o being visible to the customer ...). The same
should be easily possible w/ PostgreSQL and other RDBM'es.

cu
    http://patches.metux.de/