Re: Remote access

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Remote access
Дата
Список pgsql-general

[snip]

> I have clients with web-based servers which utilize my application
> connecting via the internet.  I guess where my ignorance manifests itself is
> how to connect when the server is not a web server and doesn't have a fixed
> IP address.  Is it necessary for them to set the server up with a fixed
> address, or is there some other alternative?

There are alternatives to a fixed IP ... all of them are Very Bad
Ideas, and generally unreliable.  If you ask around on enough message
boards, you will have people recommending all sorts of hacks where the
server periodically reports it's IP to a DNS server that updates its
records.

If you're trying to put together something that will be reliable and
professional, don't do any of those -- just spend the extra money
to get a static IP.  In fact, take a serious look at having that
server colocated at a facility with 24/7 monitoring, and redundant
power and redundant ethernet.  There are many places that will
proved you a static IP and rent you rack space for ~$150/month.
That kind of thing will provide you with the professional reliability
that most people expect but will never get from consumer DSL and
cable connections.  If you're budget is so tight that $150/month
is too much, then you'll have to fall back on one of the "magically
keep my DNS updated" solutions that others can surely give you
details on, and my heart will weep for your pain.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com