Re: Examining very large dumps

От Tino Schwarze
Тема Re: Examining very large dumps
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:58:29PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> > > Hi, i just started the process of migrating from 7.4 to 8.3.1.
> > > On restoring, apart from the easily explainable ERRORs (both in
> > > DDL, COPY), i got some ugly ERRORs denoting foreign key constraint
> > > violations.  Since the dump is 35 Gbytes, i'd like your advice for
> > > examining, editing, extracting portions of large dumps, in order
> > > to find the cause of the problem. vim (linux), vi (FreeBSD) or any
> > > other unix editor i tried, could not handle the volume.
> >
> > Do you have a plain text dump or a compressed archive? Try using less
> > for a first view, then extract things with grep or alter with sed.

> Its a text dump. however less, tail, head seem dead slow, i'll try with some form
> of grep.

less will try to count the number of lines. You may savely interrupt
this by CTRL-C.

> I'd like to know if there is some kind of more efficient editor for viewing, searching
> very large text files, searching by lineno or content.

I'm afraid that would be sed in this case. At least I don't know of any
special large text file editor. After all, if you need to search,
there's almost no way around searching through the whole 35 GB.

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de