Re: Handling large volumes of data

От Johann Spies
Тема Re: Handling large volumes of data
Дата
Re: Handling large volumes of data  (Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@it-management.at>)
Re: Handling large volumes of data  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:01:14PM +0200, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Dienstag, 8. April 2008 Johann Spies wrote:
> > This took about a week on a 2xCPU quadcore server with 8Gb RAM.
>
> This is not the most interesting thing here. What disk I/O subsystem do
> you use? At least a hardware RAID controller with RAID 0 or 10 should
> be used, with 10krpm or 15krpm drives. SAS preferred, as on SATA the
> only quick disks are Western Digital Raptor (which aren't too bad,
> btw).

I have got 8x720G disks in a hardware raid 5 setup. It is a Dell 2950
server. I am using an XFS-filesystem.  I am not certain about the
speed of the hard disk, but we bought the fastest we could get.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer
      and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
      be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which
      passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
      hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
                           Philippians 4:6,7