Re: Enhancement request

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Enhancement request
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> I am curious however, as to what the future vision of autovacuum is.
>> Will it be so efficient that it won't impact all but the busiest tables?
>> Will it be able to figure out the best time to vacuum on its own?
>
> I believe maintenance windows are on the horizon. Of course it seems that
> instead of focusing on that, we should just put in a generic job manager.

When I proposed my idea of maintenance window, everybody seemed happy,
so that's what got implemented.

If you want to propose a generic job manager, be my guest.

>> Will it stop itself mid-run if the need arises?
>
> Man I would love this one... coupled with a just enough vacuum. E.g; it
> calculates a percentage it needs to vacuum, and only vacuums that much.
> Leaving dead tuples behind.

Stop dreaming and start assigning resources for it to get done ;-)  The
NTT guys have done so and they are ahead of us on that camp.

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"In Europe they call me Niklaus Wirth; in the US they call me Nickel's worth.