Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Дата
Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

> > You have had only a few commits in 2007, and there have been two
> > problems.  That ratio seems too high to me, hence my questions above.
>
> You are misrepresenting the situation. The discussion about the commit
> timestamp, where you asked for a complete functional specification of a
> multimaster replication system based on it before anything should be
> done feature wise at all, was not about any CVS activity that happened.

Here is a quote of exactly what I had to ask for, which I shouldn't have
had to ask for:
What I did want to hear is a layout of how the system would work,and an exchange of ideas until almost everyone was
happy.
Also, I saw the trigger patch with no explaination of why it wasimportant or who would use it --- that also isn't going
toflywell.

So, to add something, the community needs to hear how it is going tohelp users, because every code addition has cost,
andwe don't want toadd things unless it has general utility.  If someone can't explain theutility of an addition, I
questionwhether the person has fully thoughtthrough were they are going.

Not sure where you got the "complete functional specification of a
multimaster replication system".

I go back to my original question, do you understand the process that
has to be followed for patch submission/application, and that it applies
to all of us, including you?   A simple "yes" is all I need to hear.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com