Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/9/2007 4:22 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> > I don't see how timing has anything to do with this.  You could have
>> > added it between beta1 and beta2 after sufficient hackers discussion.
>> > Doing it the way you did with no warning, right before beta, and then
>> > leaving is the worse of all times.  I am surprised we are not backing
>> > out the patch and requiring that the patch go through the formal review
>> > process.
>> >
>> > This is not the first time you have had trouble with patches.  There was
>> > an issue with your patch of February, 2007:
>> >
>> >     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg00385.php
>>
>> That email might contain the keyword COMMIT, but it doesn't have to do
>> with anything I committed to CVS. The trigger changes you are referring
>> to have been discussed and a patch for discussion was presented here:
>>
>>      http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg00146.php
>
> Right, but at the time you didn't want to give a good explaination and I
> had to ask for it.  That should not have been necessary.
>
>> > (In summary, you had to be coaxed to explain your patch to the
>> > community.)  Basically, I am not sure you understand the process that
>> > has to be followed, or feel you are somehow immune from following it.
>>
>> I don't see how you leap from the above example to that conclusion.
>
> You have had only a few commits in 2007, and there have been two
> problems.  That ratio seems too high to me, hence my questions above.

You are misrepresenting the situation. The discussion about the commit
timestamp, where you asked for a complete functional specification of a
multimaster replication system based on it before anything should be
done feature wise at all, was not about any CVS activity that happened.

Jan