Re: tar, but not gnu tar

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: tar, but not gnu tar
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > Yes, it is GNU tar v1.14
> >
> > FWIW, I tried this on Fedora Core 6 while running pgbench:
> >
> > [tgl@rh2 ~]$ tar --version
> > tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1
> > [tgl@rh2 ~]$ tar cf t.tar $PGDATA
> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> > tar: /home/tgl/testversion/data/pg_xlog/000000010000000000000003: file
> > changed as we read it [tgl@rh2 ~]$ echo $?
> > 0
> > [tgl@rh2 ~]$
> >
> > ISTR that the original caution was against writing scripts that assume
> > anything being emitted to stderr must indicate a problem.
>
> The relevant NEWS entry from GNU tar 1.16 is:
>
> """
> * After creating an archive, tar exits with code 1 if some files were
> changed while being read.  Previous versions exited with code 2 (fatal
> error), and only if some files were truncated while being archived.

Docs updated and backpatched to 8.2.X:

    Also, some versions of GNU <application>tar</> consider it an error
    if a file was truncated while <application>tar</> is copying it.
    Fortunately, GNU <application>tar</> versions 1.16 and later exits
    with <literal>1</> if a file was changed during the backup, and
    <literal>2</> for other errors.