Re: Migration Between Releases

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Migration Between Releases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
George Wilk wrote:

> As a general rule, the internal data storage format is subject to change
> between major releases of PostgreSQL (where the number after the first dot
> changes). This does not apply to different minor releases under the same
> major release (where the number after the second dot changes); these always
> have compatible storage formats. For example, releases 7.2.1, 7.3.2, and 7.4
> are not compatible, whereas 7.2.1 and 7.2.2 are.
>
> I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).

It needs no clarification -- what it says is right and what you thought
is wrong.  We don't have a concept of "maintenance release" -- we only
have major (new features) and minor (bug fixes).  (This is
Postgres-specific).  Peter wasn't flaming at all.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
Jason Tesser: You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.