Обсуждение: Migration Between Releases

Migration Between Releases

От
"George Wilk"

Could someone clarify the database dump/restore requirement for postgres upgrades between major releases?

The online help chapter “23.5. Migration Between Releases” states that:

As a general rule, the internal data storage format is subject to change between major releases of PostgreSQL (where the number after the first dot changes). This does not apply to different minor releases under the same major release (where the number after the second dot changes); these always have compatible storage formats. For example, releases 7.2.1, 7.3.2, and 7.4 are not compatible, whereas 7.2.1 and 7.2.2 are.

I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).  I need to understand this better for the sake of writing install scripts for my own Solaris packages.  Originally, my scripts were checking for the difference in the major release between the output of “postgres –version” and PG_VERSION file, looking at the first module of the versioning schema (i.e. 8 in “8.2.4”).  Is this still true, or should I be checking the minor release as well?

Thanks in advance,

~george

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
"Milen A. Radev"
Дата:
George Wilk написа:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

--
Milen A. Radev

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:20 schrieb George Wilk:
> I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).

You thought wrong then.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
"George Wilk"
Дата:
Hi Peter, thanks for your helpful and kind reply.  It certainly clears a lot
of smoke...  In the future you might consider including links to relevant
information.

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:20 schrieb George Wilk:
> I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).

You thought wrong then.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:52 schrieb George Wilk:
> Hi Peter, thanks for your helpful and kind reply.  It certainly clears a
> lot of smoke...  In the future you might consider including links to
> relevant information.

You posted the relevant information yourself.  You just need to believe it.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
"George Wilk"
Дата:
This must be a matter of personal pride for you Peter, as your personal
website states: "I spend much of my spare time programming, writing
documentation for, and answering mailing list questions about PostgreSQL."
Whereas "answering mailing list questions" might be an understatement :)

I'll let you have the parting shot in this flame thread...
Pleasure was all mine.

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:52 schrieb George Wilk:
> Hi Peter, thanks for your helpful and kind reply.  It certainly clears a
> lot of smoke...  In the future you might consider including links to
> relevant information.

You posted the relevant information yourself.  You just need to believe it.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
George Wilk wrote:

> As a general rule, the internal data storage format is subject to change
> between major releases of PostgreSQL (where the number after the first dot
> changes). This does not apply to different minor releases under the same
> major release (where the number after the second dot changes); these always
> have compatible storage formats. For example, releases 7.2.1, 7.3.2, and 7.4
> are not compatible, whereas 7.2.1 and 7.2.2 are.
>
> I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).

It needs no clarification -- what it says is right and what you thought
is wrong.  We don't have a concept of "maintenance release" -- we only
have major (new features) and minor (bug fixes).  (This is
Postgres-specific).  Peter wasn't flaming at all.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
Jason Tesser: You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.

Re: Migration Between Releases

От
"Scott Marlowe"
> Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:20 schrieb George Wilk:
> > I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> > schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> > maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).
>
> You thought wrong then.
> Hi Peter, thanks for your helpful and kind reply.  It certainly clears a lot
> of smoke...  In the future you might consider including links to relevant
> information.

1: Please don't top post.
2: Peter, if you don't provide links like George is asking for, we're
gonna have to cut what we pay you to post here in half.  :)

Re: Migration Between Releases

> > Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 16:20 schrieb George Wilk:
> > > I thought that the major release was the first number in the versioning
> > > schema, the second represented minor release, and the third would be the
> > > maintenance release or revision number (i.e. 8.2.4).
> >
> > You thought wrong then.
> > Hi Peter, thanks for your helpful and kind reply.  It certainly clears a lot
> > of smoke...  In the future you might consider including links to relevant
> > information.
>
> 1: Please don't top post.
> 2: Peter, if you don't provide links like George is asking for, we're
> gonna have to cut what we pay you to post here in half.  :)

This information used to be in the FAQ, but now it is on our web site
and linked to from the FAQ:

    http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning