incrementals with pg-dump

От David Bear
Тема incrementals with pg-dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I googled a bit for an incremental or differential way to backup
postgresq. I was hoping there would be switch on pg-dumpall that would
backup all tupples added since some date. Doesn't look like it exists.

I did find a backup method using the WAL files on the file system at

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2006/07/13/lamp-data-protection.html?page=last

I also found this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html

I seem to remember around pg 7.x that file system level backups were
very bad.

Now, it seems the pg 8.x way is to allow the admin to take advantage
of file system tools look tar, cpio, dump, etc.

I was wondering if there any other recommendations beyond what is
mentioned in the docs above?

--
David Bear
phone:     602-496-0424