Обсуждение: incrementals with pg-dump

incrementals with pg-dump

От
David Bear
Дата:
I googled a bit for an incremental or differential way to backup
postgresq. I was hoping there would be switch on pg-dumpall that would
backup all tupples added since some date. Doesn't look like it exists.

I did find a backup method using the WAL files on the file system at

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2006/07/13/lamp-data-protection.html?page=last

I also found this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html

I seem to remember around pg 7.x that file system level backups were
very bad.

Now, it seems the pg 8.x way is to allow the admin to take advantage
of file system tools look tar, cpio, dump, etc.

I was wondering if there any other recommendations beyond what is
mentioned in the docs above?

--
David Bear
phone:     602-496-0424

Re: incrementals with pg-dump

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:11:01PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> I googled a bit for an incremental or differential way to backup
> postgresq. I was hoping there would be switch on pg-dumpall that would
> backup all tupples added since some date. Doesn't look like it exists.
>
> I did find a backup method using the WAL files on the file system at
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2006/07/13/lamp-data-protection.html?page=last
>
> I also found this:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html
>
> I seem to remember around pg 7.x that file system level backups were
> very bad.
>
> Now, it seems the pg 8.x way is to allow the admin to take advantage
> of file system tools look tar, cpio, dump, etc.
>
> I was wondering if there any other recommendations beyond what is
> mentioned in the docs above?

No... if you want incremental backups, use PITR. Someone's done some
work on an incremental version of pg_dump, but I haven't heard anything
about it in about a year.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org