Re: [pgsql-general] In memory tables/databases

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: [pgsql-general] In memory tables/databases
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 05 July 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> A.M. wrote:
> >
> > Why not have a table type that writes no WAL and is truncated whenever
> > postgres starts? Such a table could then be put in a ramdisk tablespace
> > and there would be no transaction atomicity repercussions. Is there
> > something I'm missing?

<snip>

> P.S. I agree with you, but you are barking up a very tall tree and you
> don't have a chainsaw. The fact is, global temp tables that could be
> assigned a static amount of memory to use that would recycle based on
> some parameter would be infinitely useful, but likely won't get anywhere.

I used to think that, but after looking into what the spec thinks global temp
tables should behave like, I'm less inclined to agree.   Currently I'm back
to fancying something akin to Oracle's NoLogging option, where (in pg terms)
the oid of a table would be marked so any further DML type information
generated from that table is simply ignored.

--
Robert Treat