Re: Polymorphic delete help needed

От Perry Smith
Тема Re: Polymorphic delete help needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:36 AM, David Fetter wrote:

At some point, you're going to realize that Rails is the problem, not

the solution.  It's written by people who do not understand what a

shared data store is and reflects problems inherent in its native

database platform: MySQL 3.23.

Thats depressing...  I admit that I've questioned why MySQL is used as the default.

From what I can see, Rails is mostly written by people trying to get web applications up and running.  So, admittedly, they are no db experts or javascript experts or whatever else experts but they do know how to get a base set of tools so that a pretty good web application can be implemented very quickly.  By pretty good, I mean better than I could do with other tools I've tried to use.

And, the nice thing is, while they greatly influence which way to go, they allow (or Ruby allows) you to do most anything and without tremendous pain.

e.g.  I think I can plumb this into Rails without chain sawing Rails to pieces.

But, I would like to hear more specifically your thoughts on Rails.  May not be appropriate for this list.  I think adding (or removing) things from Rails to better work with "real" databases is very possible.  If nothing else, as extensions to Rails.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems