Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > Considering Postgres will never user either "meter" or "mile"
> > in settings, I don't consider your argument valid.
> >
> > I don't see the value of having units globally unique (literally).
> > It's enough if they unique in the context of postgresql.conf.
> >
> > Thus +1 of having additional shortcuts Tom suggested.
> > Also +1 for having them case-insensitive.
>
> Agreed. Although I suggest perhaps to not press for "m" as minutes,
> because it really is ambiguous for "months" or "minutes", esp. in a
> context like "log_rotation_age".
>
> Please lets have the unambiguous abbreviations. Please lets make it all
> case-insensitive. After all this discussion, what about a straight
> forward vote? Bruce, we had those before, no?

Right.  No one dictates what goes into PostgreSQL and I think there are
clearly enough people who want improvement in this area, including
perhaps having 'm' meaning minutes and going with case insensitivity.
Please post a patch that we can discuss/review.  If it is small we can
try to get it into 8.3.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com