Re: 8.3 and 8.4 feature list

От Marc Cousin
Тема Re: 8.3 and 8.4 feature list
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thursday 07 June 2007 18:40:37 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Abraham, Danny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am  migrating from Sybase to Postgres.
> >
> > trying to get a hold on the issue of future releases feature list.
> >
> > 1. Where can I find the feature list for 8.3 ? When is it expected?
>
> The roadmap currently shows 8.3 releasing sometime this summer. At this
> time, you should expect fall.
>
> > 2. And for 8.4?
>
> Our typical release cycle is 12-18 months.
>
> > 3. Who is the guy to ask about a feature like "startup migrate" in
> > ORACLE?
>
> There is no "guy", what does the feature do? A little googling appears
> to say that it migrates from 1 oracle version to another? PostgreSQL
> does not support this feature.
>
> You could of course sponsor development of the feature.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Startup migrate opens the database in a special status in order to be able to
run migration scripts correctly.
It deactivates certain triggers, ignores errors when asked to drop
non-existing objects, and does several other things of the same kind.

I don't really see the point of having it in postgresql (no script to run
between minor versions, full dump/import between major versions)