Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Дата
Ответ на Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Ответы Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Theo Kramer <theo@flame.co.za>)
Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, the FAQ now has:
> >
> >     <P>The PostgreSQL team makes only bug fixes in minor releases,
>
> I don't think there is a causality between the above and the below.
>
> >     so, for example, upgrading from 7.4.8 to 7.4.9 does not require
> >     a dump and restore;  merely stop the database server, install
> >     the updated binaries, and restart the server.</P>
>
> >     <P>All users should upgrade to the most recent minor release as
> > soon as it is available.  While upgrades always have some risk,
> > PostgreSQL minor releases fix only common bugs to reduce the risk of
> > upgrading. The community considers <i>not</i> upgrading more risky
> > that upgrading.</P>
>
> What is a "common bug"?

I changed it to "frequently-encountered bugs".

New text:

    <P>The PostgreSQL team adds only bug fixes to minor releases.  All
    users should upgrade to the most recent minor release as soon as it
    is available.  While upgrades always have some risk, PostgreSQL minor
    releases fix only frequently-encountered bugs to reduce the risk of
    upgrading.  The community considers <i>not</i> upgrading more risky
    that upgrading.</P>

    <P>Upgrading to a minor release, e.g. 8.1.5 to 8.1.6, does not does
    not require a dump and restore; merely stop the database server,
    install the updated binaries, and restart the server.</P>

Сообщение: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?