Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Дата
Ответ на Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:08:33AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > OK, the FAQ now has:
> > >
> > >     <P>The PostgreSQL team makes only bug fixes in minor releases,
> >
> > I don't think there is a causality between the above and the below.
> >
> > >     so, for example, upgrading from 7.4.8 to 7.4.9 does not require
> > >     a dump and restore;  merely stop the database server, install
> > >     the updated binaries, and restart the server.</P>
> >
> > >     <P>All users should upgrade to the most recent minor release as
> > > soon as it is available.  While upgrades always have some risk,
> > > PostgreSQL minor releases fix only common bugs to reduce the risk of
> > > upgrading. The community considers <i>not</i> upgrading more risky
> > > that upgrading.</P>
> >
> > What is a "common bug"?
>
> I changed it to "frequently-encountered bugs".
>
> New text:
>
>     <P>The PostgreSQL team adds only bug fixes to minor releases.  All
>     users should upgrade to the most recent minor release as soon as it
>     is available.  While upgrades always have some risk, PostgreSQL minor
>     releases fix only frequently-encountered bugs to reduce the risk of
>     upgrading.  The community considers <i>not</i> upgrading more risky
>     that upgrading.</P>
>
>     <P>Upgrading to a minor release, e.g. 8.1.5 to 8.1.6, does not does
>     not require a dump and restore; merely stop the database server,
>     install the updated binaries, and restart the server.</P>

I still think this should live somewhere other than the FAQ. (It can
live in the FAQ as well, of course, but..)

I'm not entirely sure about the "frequently-encountered". AFAIK, we fix
serious stability bugs (or security bugs) even if they are fairly hard
to trigger. (it's also good to mention that we do patch security bugs, I
think)

//Magnus

Сообщение: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?