Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Дата
Ответ на Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Ответы Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, the FAQ now has:
>
>     <P>The PostgreSQL team makes only bug fixes in minor releases,

I don't think there is a causality between the above and the below.

>     so, for example, upgrading from 7.4.8 to 7.4.9 does not require
>     a dump and restore;  merely stop the database server, install
>     the updated binaries, and restart the server.</P>

>     <P>All users should upgrade to the most recent minor release as
> soon as it is available.  While upgrades always have some risk,
> PostgreSQL minor releases fix only common bugs to reduce the risk of
> upgrading. The community considers <i>not</i> upgrading more risky
> that upgrading.</P>

What is a "common bug"?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Сообщение: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?