Re: [SQL] Question regarding multibyte.

От Ivo Rossacher
Тема Re: [SQL] Question regarding multibyte.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Am Sonntag, 4. Februar 2007 22.34 schrieb Karthikeyan Sundaram:
> Hi,
>
>    I am new to postgres.  I asked a question regarding multibyte display.
> I got only one response.

Which was correct and about complet when taking the amount of information
given into account. So nobody else did see a need for an other answer.

> Hence, I am re-iterating the question again to a larger audience.
>
> We are using 8.2 release of postgres.  Recently we converted our database
> to multibyte on our dev machine. we want to test the following.
>
>    1) How will I insert multibyte from our php?  Do we need to use any
> special encoding?

You need to specify the client encoding of your php installation. (the last
time I used it I think it was Latin1 for me) So after the connection is
established send something like "set client_encoding='LATIN1'" to the server.
From then on the server will automatically convert between the client and the
server encoding for you.

>    2) I am using psql command line to get the data into a flat file and
> push to our data warehouse
>        We use IBM redbrick warehouse.

Here you need to find a way which makes your shell and the data warehouse
happy. It depends on the data you have to transfer what will give the best
solution. Here a very simple one which might create troubles in some special
cases:
If you know the encoding your ware house is expecting just set the client
encoding of the psql to what you ware house expects. Now the ware house
should be able to read what from psql comes where mostpossible at the console
you will not get the correct display anymore whit this setup.

>    3) If I have multibyte, I know the output from the psql will scatter to
> many lines.  How can we avoid that.  What is the sql command ? I need 1
> record per row to supply to our warehouse.

This is most probably only a problem of the editor/console related to wrong
encoding settings and does not have anything to do with the real problem.
If this is not the case you have to escape the linebreakes in a way the
warehouse understands (iconv, recode,...).

>     Can somebody help me?

I hope so.

Best regards
Ivo Rossacher