Re: Stats collector frozen?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Stats collector frozen?
Дата
Re: Stats collector frozen?  ("Jeremy Haile" <jhaile@fastmail.fm>)
Список pgsql-general
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> I'll try to put together a test case for hackers, although I'm not sure
> what exactly causes it.
>
> Basically, when I fire up PostgreSQL - after about a minute the stats
> collector runs once (pgstat.stat is updated, autovacuum fires up, etc.)
> - and then the collector seems to hang.  If I watch it's performance
> information, it does not read or write to disk again and pgstat.stat is
> never updated again.  It never updates pgstat.stat more than once after
> restart.  There are no errors in the log
>
> I tried killing the collector a variety of ways on Windows, but it seems
> to terminate indefinitely.  I don't see a kill program for windows that
> lets me specify the signal to use.  So other than restarting PostgreSQL,
> I'm not sure how to workaround this problem.
>
> If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, please post your
> situation.

All the Windows buildfarm machines are, apparently.

We verified this with Magnus.  He found that the tenk2 table does not
seem to get stat updates -- the numbers are all zero, at all times.  I
thought I had blogged about this ... oh yeah, it's here

http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre/diary.html?start=11

AFAIR (Magnus can surely confirm) there were some other tables that
weren't showing stats as all zeros -- but there's no way to know whether
those numbers were put there before the collector had "frozen" (if
that's really what's happening).