LVM and Postgres

От Rory Campbell-Lange
Тема LVM and Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I need to slice up a web server's disk space to provide space for
postgres and storing binaries such as images and sound files. I'm
thinking of using logical volume management (LVM) to help manage the
amount of space I use between postgres and the data volumes.

The server has a 250GB RAID10 (LSI 320-I + BBU) volume which I am
thinking of slicing up in the following way (Linux 2.6 kernel):

    /         : ext3  :  47GB (root, home etc)
    /boot     : ext3  :  1GB
    /tmp      : ext2  :  2GB
    /usr      : ext3  :  4GB
    /var      : ext3  :  6GB
    -----------------------
                        60GB

    VG        :        190GB approx
    -----------------------
    Initially divided so:
    /data     : ext3  : 90GB
    /postgres : xfs   : 40GB

This gives me left over space of roughly 60GB to extend into on the
volume group, which I can balance between the /data and /postgres
logical volumes as needed.

Are there any major pitfalls to this approach?

Thanks,
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange