Re: LVM and Postgres

От August Zajonc
Тема Re: LVM and Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> The server has a 250GB RAID10 (LSI 320-I + BBU) volume which I am
> thinking of slicing up in the following way (Linux 2.6 kernel):
>
>     /         : ext3  :  47GB (root, home etc)
>     /boot     : ext3  :  1GB
>     /tmp      : ext2  :  2GB
>     /usr      : ext3  :  4GB
>     /var      : ext3  :  6GB
>     -----------------------
>                         60GB
>
>     VG        :        190GB approx
>     -----------------------
>     Initially divided so:
>     /data     : ext3  : 90GB
>     /postgres : xfs   : 40GB
>
> This gives me left over space of roughly 60GB to extend into on the
> volume group, which I can balance between the /data and /postgres
> logical volumes as needed.
>
> Are there any major pitfalls to this approach?
>
> Thanks,
> Rory

It looks like you are using fast disks and xfs for filesystem on the
/postgresql partition. That's nice.

How many disks in the array?

One thing you miss is sticking a bunch of sequential log writes on a
separate spindle as far as I can see with this? WAL / XFS (i think) both
have this pattern. If you've got a fast disk and can do BBU write
caching your WAL writes will hustle.

Others can probably speak a bit better on any potential speedups.

- August

Сообщение: Re: Missed index opportunity for outer join?
Сообщение: Re: Missed index opportunity for outer join?