Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> >> Also they
> >> don't need to modify
> >> scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to
> >> return int
> >> based on the boolean version?
>
> > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
>
> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> both
>
>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>
> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

-1, too confusing.  We have always been willing to modify API's,
especially for admin stuff, as we add features.  If we keep everything
around, we end up like Oracle.  That has VARCHAR2 written all over it. :-)

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?
Сообщение: Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?