Re: Trouble with conections between php and postgre

От Daniel Walters
Тема Re: Trouble with conections between php and postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-php
Hi John,

I have some clarification on your suggestion...

This function is specifically for asynchronous queries though - if  Luis is
not using asynchronous queries the mileage may vary. The other issue is that
even if the query can be cancelled how does Luis accurately determine when
to do this?

To detect a closed or stopped/cancelled browser (see the notes in the php
manual under connection_status();) the script actually needs to poll the
client (this can be done by flushing a single character in a loop down to
the browser - this is ugly for a lot of fairly obvious reasons).

I think the key to issue is the session locking (as per my previous post).

There is quite a history to this issue (browsing the archives of this list
and Usenet reveals this) and it is in fact the reason why I am on this list.

The issue has also been raised as bugs at http://bugs.php.net but have been
systematically closed without fixes since as early as 2001.

Requests have been made for the addition of functions to pause a session
(remove the file lock while a query is running because you know the session
wont be written to during this time) and then restart the session (once the
query has completed).

This type of functionality can be somewhat achieved with
session_write_close() except that this function unfortunately sends a cookie
header automatically and this causes issues for IE if done repeatedly.

I have made some suggestions in my previous post (which is being moderated
currently) which may help but they are certainly not clean solutions.
Hopefully someone will take notice (this time) of this thread and work on
making php deal with this better.

Regards,

Daniel Walters.