Re: Vacuum Full Analyze Stalled

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: Vacuum Full Analyze Stalled
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On the linux box check if any application left a "idle in transaction" backend
around.
just
ps -ef | grep transaction

if that shows any postgres process then you most likely found the culprit.
An application that's still running can have a bug that starts a transaction
which never finishes for some reason (commit or rollback it never called).
I had a couple of those errors in my app - always leading to a stuck vacuum
full. If that's the case just kill the backend in question and the vauum will
continue. Don't kill -9 it!!
After that try to figure out what caused the application not to commit or
rollback a transaction. It's usually an error handler of some sort.

just an idea.

UC

On Sunday 02 October 2005 09:42, Jeff Kirby wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to do my best in describing the situation... so please
> forgive any ignorance on my part since I am very new to the Postgres
> community.
>
> We have 2 identical Postgres databases, one on a Windows 2003 platform, and
> the other on a SUSe 9.3 Linux platform (both platforms have identical
> hardware).  They both have the same schema, the same configuration settings
> (as far as I can tell), and relatively the same amount of data (approx
> 32GB).  OK... here is the scoop, I started a "vacuum full analyze verbose"
> on both last night... the windows box completed in about 1 1/2 hours... the
> Linux box however is still chugging away this morning... and appears to be
> stuck on vacuuming "pg_constraint_contypid_index".  How do I know... well I
> don't really... I'm inferring based on the order of the log output on the
> Windows box.
>
> So the question is... has anyone experienced this problem in the past?  If
> so, what do you recommend to rectify the problem?  Is it normal to be
> running for more than 12 hours on a table that only has 35 rows?  Do you
> need me to attach the log output thus far from both the Windows and Linux
> box?  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  Any commands you can
> suggest to run on the Linux machine... no problem.
>
> Jeffrey Kirby
> CCAP Web Team
> jeff.kirby@wicourts.gov
> 608-264-6253

Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417