Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables
Дата
Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables  (Darren Alcorn <dalcorn@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Darren,

> I was interested as to if there were plans to develop SQL99 nested
> tables. I know with AJAX(tm) starting to grow in popularity that the
> XML features of SQL2003 would prove useful for EnterpriseDB.

I realize that nested tables are in SQL99, but so is SQLJ and a few other
really dumb ideas.  As Joe Celko (member of the SQL92 committee) put it, "we
were a committee, and a committee never met a feature it didn't like."

Can you make a use-case for nested tables?   It would need to be a fairly
strong one, given that they basically violate the relational model.  If what
you're really interested in is XML data support, then I'd suggest focusing on
that instead.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

--
Josh Berkus