COnsidering a move away from Postgres

От Jason Tesser
Тема COnsidering a move away from Postgres
Дата
Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres  (Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I work for a college and we use PG currently as our main backend.  We are
currently developing with Java.  We are considering moving away from postgres
for the reasons I am going to list below.  I would appreciate some thoughts
from the Postgres community on way we should or shouldn't leave postgres.

1. Our dev plan involves alot of stored procedures to be used and we have
found the way this is done in PG to be painful. (ie.  To return multiple
record from different tables you have to define a type.  This is a pain to
maintain because if you ever have to change what it returns it cannot be
dropped because of dependencies etc.. In some other databases you can simpley
write a stored proc to return whatever the query inside returns and this is
handled dynamically)

2. Also with stored procs it is painful to return mulitple records. The syntax
is more complicated than some other databases.  (We are currently using
PL/SQL)

3. The tools.  PgAdmin does some things well but it is lacking the features of
some of the other gui tools.  This is not a big deal as we do also have
PgManage which is acceptable except I personally don't like it cause it
doesn't run in Linux and the Linux version is pretty bad.

Thank you for any input and help,

--
Jason Tesser
Developer for NMI