Possible move away from PG

От Jason Tesser
Тема Possible move away from PG
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I work for a college and we use PG currently as our main backend.  We
are currently developing with Java.  We are considering moving away from
postgres for the reasons I am going to list below.  I would appreciate
some thoughts from the Postgres community on way we should or shouldn't
leave postgres.

1. Our dev plan involves alot of stored procedures to be used and we
have found the way this is done in PG to be painful. (ie.  To return
multiple record from different tables you have to define a type.  This
is a pain to maintain because if you ever have to change what it returns
it cannot be dropped because of dependencies etc.. In some other
databases you can simpley write a stored proc to return whatever the
query inside returns and this is handled dynamically)

2. Also with stored procs it is painful to return mulitple records. The
syntax is more complicated than some other databases.  (We are currently
using PL/SQL)

3. The tools.  PgAdmin does some things well but it is lacking the
features of some of the other gui tools.  This is not a big deal as we
do also have PgManage which is acceptable except I personally don't like
it cause it doesn't run in Linux and the Linux version is pretty bad.

Thank you for any input and help,
Jason Tesser