Re: User Quota Implementation

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: User Quota Implementation
Дата
Re: User Quota Implementation  (Yann Michel <yann-postgresql@spline.de>)
Re: User Quota Implementation  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jonah,

> Don't get me wrong, I think we need tablespace maximums.  What I'm
> looking at is a user/group-based quota which would allow a superuser to
> grant say, 2G of space to a user or group.  Any object that user owned
> would be included in the space allocation.
>
> So, if the user owns three tablespaces, they can still only have a
> maximum of 2G total.  This is where I think it would be wise to allow
> the tablespace owner and/or superuser to set the maximum size of a
> tablespace.

Yeah, the problem is that with the upcoming "group ownership" I see
user-based quotas as being rather difficult to implement unambiguously.
Even more so when we get "local users" in the future.   So I'd only want
to do it if there was a real-world use case that tablespace quotas
wouldn't satisfy.

For the basic ISP space, tablespace quotas seem a lot more apt for that
case.  You give each user a database, and put it in its own tablespace and
don't give them permissions to change it.  That way you could have user
e-mail, web, and database in the same directory tree for easy
backup/transfer.  It also means that you can use filesystem controls to
double-check the tablespace maximums.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus