Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:36:22 +0100,
  denis moeller <nimbus@latrina.de> wrote:

> situation: old server backup. Backup of Postgresql data files. Postgres
> 7.3.x was running.

You can't take file system level backups under a running postmaster and expect
to use those to recover a database. You either need to shut the postmaster
down or use pg_dump(all) to make a live dump.

> New server has version 7.4.5 - how do I get the old data in my new database?
> Copying didn't work - complains about different versions.

When switching between major versions (such as 7.3.x to 7.4.x) you need to
do a dump and restore. If possible you should use the pg_dump client of
the newer version to do the dump, as newer versions do a better job of
handling dependencies in dumps.