Обсуждение: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
denis moeller
Дата:
Hi,

situation: old server backup. Backup of Postgresql data files. Postgres
7.3.x was running.
New server has version 7.4.5 - how do I get the old data in my new database?
Copying didn't work - complains about different versions.

TIA!

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega - Planae
Дата:
Hi,

    You try to dump with -d (dump data as INSERT, rather than COPY,
commands) option of pg_dump and import this in 7.4?

Atenciosamente,

Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega
Infraestrutura e Banco de Dados
Planae Tecnologia da Informação
(+55) 14 2106-3514
http://www.planae.com.br
> situation: old server backup. Backup of Postgresql data files. Postgres
> 7.3.x was running.
> New server has version 7.4.5 - how do I get the old data in my new
> database?
> Copying didn't work - complains about different versions.
>
> TIA!

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 11:36, denis moeller wrote:
> Hi,
>

> situation: old server backup. Backup of Postgresql data files. Postgres
> 7.3.x was running.
> New server has version 7.4.5 - how do I get the old data in my new database?
> Copying didn't work - complains about different versions.

Read this part of the manual?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/install-upgrading.html

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:36:22 +0100,
  denis moeller <nimbus@latrina.de> wrote:

> situation: old server backup. Backup of Postgresql data files. Postgres
> 7.3.x was running.

You can't take file system level backups under a running postmaster and expect
to use those to recover a database. You either need to shut the postmaster
down or use pg_dump(all) to make a live dump.

> New server has version 7.4.5 - how do I get the old data in my new database?
> Copying didn't work - complains about different versions.

When switching between major versions (such as 7.3.x to 7.4.x) you need to
do a dump and restore. If possible you should use the pg_dump client of
the newer version to do the dump, as newer versions do a better job of
handling dependencies in dumps.

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
denis moeller
Дата:
Well ... I don't have an old version running to make a dump - that would
be easy.
I just got the files in a backup-directory ...
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 20:15:26 +0100,
  denis moeller <nimbus@latrina.de> wrote:
> Well ... I don't have an old version running to make a dump - that would
> be easy.
> I just got the files in a backup-directory ...
> Any ideas?
> Thanks!

You can try reinstalling the old version and doing the dump. However if
the postmaster was running when you made the backups you might be in trouble.

Re: Upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4.5

От
"Aufkleber24.de"
Дата: