Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

От Darcy Buskermolen
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On January 12, 2005 04:31 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Tomeh, Husam wrote:
> >>I've seen book that prefer installing PostgreSQL as root and another
> >>one recommends otherwise by first creating a postgres account and
> >>then installing it as postgres. In the Oracle world, you don't use
> >>root to install the software. What is the best practice as far as
> >>PostgreSQL goes?
> >
> > The current recommendation, which is reflected in the installation
> > instructions, is to install the software as root and to use the
> > postgres user for the database files.  The advice seen elsewhere in
> > this thread to use the postgres user also for the software files is
> > wrong.
>
> If the user owns the catalog, there is no reason for that user to not
> also own the files.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Isn't there a requiremnet of writing libpq.so to a location that ldconfig can
make use of it?  By default FreeBSD won't let you ldconfig a file that isn't
owned by root (or that is in a directory that is writeable by anybody other
than members of group 0).

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!